- Canfield, Ohio
David John Betras
Attorney David Betras, Senior Partner at Betras, Kopp & Harshman, LLC, directs the firm’s non-litigation activities. His primary responsibilities include resolving clients’ personal injury and medical malpractice claims before a lawsuit is filed. David also practices criminal defense law in both the state and federal courts.
David graduated Cum Laude from Youngstown State University in 1982 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Applied Science. He attended law school at Capital University, where he was elected to the Order of the Curia. He graduated Cum Laude and earned a Juris Doctor degree in 1985. While in law school, David won American Jurisprudence Awards for demonstrating excellence in the subjects of Torts and Wills and Estates.
David began his legal career as an attorney with Betras & Betras in 1985. David was actively involved in case management, research and drafting opinions and orders. In 1992, David became a founding member of Betras & Dann. In 1998 he became a founding partner of Betras, Maruca & Kopp, LLC.
David’s reputation, integrity, and ability led to his appointment as the Special Prosecutor of a sweeping probe of corruption in Mahoning County. That investigation, which began in October of 1998, resulted in numerous convictions and government reforms.
Among many professional and civic honors he has received during his distinguished career, David’s peers in the legal community nominated him to receive the prestigious designation of “Super Lawyer” in the areas of personal injury and criminal law. After careful vetting by the Super Lawyer selection committee, he was named a “Super Lawyer” in 2018.
David is the host of Legally Speaking, which is broadcast on WKBN 570 Radio and Facebook Live each Thursday at 5:00 PM. He also appears on a Legally Speaking segment broadcast during the WFMJ Today newscast each Friday morning.
David and his spouse, Dr. Pamela Barkett, DDS, have three children, Rose, Joseph, who is currently serving in the U.S. Army, and Alexander.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury — Defense
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Business Organizations
- Criminal Law
Criminal Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Juris Doctor, Cum Laude. Honors: Order of the Curia. Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio,1985.
- Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude. Major: Applied Science. Youngstown State University, Youngstown, Ohio,1982
- Guest Lecturer, National and Statewide Seminars
- Former Professor, Youngstown State University
Honors & Awards
- American Jurisprudence Awards, Torts and Wills and Estates
- Super Lawyer, Personal Injury and Criminal Law
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Member, Mahoning County Bar Association
- Member, Trumbull County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Association for Justice
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Former President, Mahoning-Trumbull Counties Academy of Trial Lawyers
Past Employment Positions
- Founding Member, Betras & Dann, 1992
- Founding Partner, Betras, Maruca & Kopp, L.L.C., 1998
- Special Prosecutor, Mahoning County Fraud Probe
- Interim Director, Mahoning County Child Support Enforcement Agency
- Compliance Officer, Mahoning County Child Support Enforcement Agency
- Professor, Youngstown State University
- Member, Mahoning County Board of Elections