BKH: Your Complex Litigation Partners
The Betras, Kopp & Harshman approach to complex business litigation is based on two bedrock principles:
The first is our unwavering commitment to securing the best possible result for our business and corporate clients in the boardroom, at the negotiating table, and, when necessary, in court.
The second is our belief that everyone, including business owners, investors, patent holders, and partners in closely-held firms, should have access to sound legal counsel and the civil justice system. But because complex commercial litigation can be extremely costly, businesspeople who can’t afford the high hourly fees charged by “white shoe” law firms can find themselves at a serious disadvantage if the parties on the other side of the table have deep pockets.
Fortunately, BKH levels the playing field by offering contingency fee arrangements to select commercial clients. If you are involved in litigation with a big-money investor, a firm battling a hostile takeover, or are involved in a dispute with a partner whose financial strength far exceeds your own, contact us today to arrange a no-cost consultation. If we believe your case has merit, we will invest our time, talent, and resources to protect your interests.
Along with innovative fee arrangements, our business litigation department which is led by Attorney Brian Kopp offers clients an impressive depth and breadth of skill, knowledge, and experience. Since winning his first complex case two decades ago, Atty. Kopp has negotiated multi-million-dollar contracts for athletes and coaches, managed complex real estate and business transactions, crafted multi-faceted M&A and partnership agreements, and served as both plaintiff and defense counsel in civil trials and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
His reputation as a tireless advocate who delivers exceptional results explains why business entities and individuals regularly place their trust and the future of their enterprises in Atty. Kopp’s extremely capable hands.
Our Business/Complex Litigation Department recognizes that no two situations or cases are alike. That is why we work hard to deliver sound advice and creative, cost-effective solutions that meet each of our clients’ unique needs in the most expeditious manner possible. Our practice areas include:
- Business Torts
- Commercial Disputes
- Interference with contract or prospective business relations
- Business disparagement, unfair competition, and theft of trade secrets
- Partnership Disputes
- Business Contracts and Employment Agreements
- Business Dissolutions
We regularly provide the following services to a wide range of clients:
- The formation of LLPs and limited partnerships
- Negotiation of member agreements and terms of admission.
- Re-organization and restructuring member agreements for existing LLPs, including partial spinouts.
- Develop and draft carry vehicles and remuneration provisions and incentivization plans for limited partnerships and LLP members.
- Advise on removing members, changing member terms and revising member agreements.
- Advise individual members regarding joining or leaving partnerships and LLPs,
- Advise parties engaged in LLP, LLCs, or closely held entities involving partners, venture capitalists and members of boards of directors
- Challenge or defend the validity and enforceability of business contracts and employment agreements
- Represent family members, shareholders, partners, and others involved in litigation of issues related to the dissolution of a business
A Special Note on Business Dissolutions
We recognize that businesses may dissolve for a number of reasons. In some cases, the decision to dissolve a business entity is voluntary and mutual. In others, the businesses may be forced into dissolution as a result of external factors that are beyond the control of owners, partners or stakeholders.
Whatever the reason for the breakup, BKH helps clients explore every available option. We make sure our clients fully understand the consequences of the impending dissolution, we protect their interests inside and outside the courtroom, and design strategies that shield them from continuing liability related to ongoing business activities and future disputes.
Our work in this important area of business law includes:
- Filing and defending motions to compel the business dissolution when partners or stakeholders cannot reach a mutually satisfactory agreement.
- Representing minority shareholders in disputes involving freeze outs, self-dealings, unfair compensation plans, and abuse of minority shareholders.
- Pursuing and defending claims against directors or officers alleging breaches of fiduciary duty and other forms of financial misconduct.
- Representing shareholders and business partners in suits against officers who used the corporate entity for improper advantage.
To learn more about our complex/business litigation services or to arrange a no-cost consultation, contact us at 330-744-8686, 800-457-2889, or by completing the contact form on this page.